Best Ways to Improve Oral Hygiene

a miniature toy man drilling on a tooth

In order to maintain good oral health, an oral surgeon in Mission Viejo Ca would first recommend brushing twice a day and flossing regularly. However, this is just the foundation of keeping a healthy mouth. There are at least five more practices that you can integrate into your daily routine to maintain strong, beautiful teeth. These tips, along with frequent dental cleanings and checkups, will prevent the development of serious oral conditions like gum disease.

Find an Electric Toothbrush

If you’re more genetically inclined toward gum problems, then your dentist in Laguna Niguel might recommend using an electric toothbrush. These can assist in a more thorough clean without inconvenience to the brusher. Instead of having to make back and forth motions with your brush, you can simply guide the vibrating bristles across your rows of teeth. This will help remove calcium buildup and plaque in an efficient manner. You can also use the built-in timers to ensure that you’re brushing consistently each night!

One thing to keep in mind in your oral care routine is that you can damage enamel and gums by brushing too hard or too frequently. This can happen with traditional brushes or electric brushes. So, make sure to check in with your dentist or oral surgeon in Mission Viejo Ca to see if you need to adjust your brushing methods. 

Floss Regularly 

Whether you have all your natural teeth or some dental implants in Orange County, you should floss your mouth once a day. According to researchers, brushing only accounts for 60% of the surface of your teeth. When you skip flossing, you are ignoring the potential plaque and food debris on the other 40%. In order to integrate a proper flossing routine, you must follow the C-shape rule. Make sure to also gently reach underneath your gums for a thorough clean. Like brushing, it is possible to floss too aggressively, which will irritate and possibly damage your gums. If you need help establishing your flossing habits, ask an oral care professional. 


Rinse After Flossing

Many oral care professionals advise patients to floss their teeth before they brush. This allows any food debris to be conveniently loosened. However, as long as you are flossing once a day, the order is not the most important factor in this equation. You can easily rinse your mouth with water after flossing at any time to efficiently remove food particles and bacteria. 

Carry a Travel Toothbrush

While it’s necessary to have a toothbrush at home for the morning and night, it is not a bad idea to carry a spare travel brush with you when you’re going about your day. You never know what kind of food you might get stuck between your teeth at lunch or during one of your snack breaks. If you have a portable brush nearby, then you can do a quick clean so that these bits of food don’t stay in your mouth all day. 

Pay Attention to Your Tongue

Recent studies on oral health have shown that the tongue can carry millions of bacteria which can cause plaque buildup and bad breath. In order to effectively keep a healthy mouth, you must brush your tongue as well as your teeth. Our clinic practices biological and holistic dentistry, so we avoid recommending toxic materials including fluoride since fluoride is harmful to the body. We use and advise patients to use natural ozone/oxygen therapy which is 100% natural and healthy and has no side effects. We also recommend homeopathic solutions rather than metal, fluoride, or any other toxic materials.


When you spend the appropriate amount of time and effort on your mouth, you will see amazing results. It is important to keep up your oral care routine between dentist appointments so that your teeth remain strong and beautiful. Speak to an oral care professional about how you can maintain a healthy mouth for years to come. 

Preventive dental care is the best way to avoid serious and costly dental problems and ultimately medical bills. Preventive dental care is also a key to ensure that your natural teeth and dental restorations last long. If you neglect your preventive dental care, your natural teeth as well as restored teeth with dental crowns and dental implants are more susceptible to gingivitis and periodontal disease.

To request an appointment call or text us at (949)364-9600 or visit our website

Share this article:

Leave a Reply